half small lemon
1 T water
2 t zsweet/granulated sugar sub. (adjust amount if
not using zsweet)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Peel, core, and slice/chop apple.
- Place apples in small baking dish.
- Cover with juice of 1/2 small lemon,
zsweet/sugar sub., water, and few dashes of
1 t milk
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
- Grind grissini into a powder using food
processor or coffee grinder.
- Add milk in 1/4 t increments. Slowly stir until
mixture forms a slightly moist crumbly topping..
- Sprinkle on top of apple filling.
- Cover dish and bake 20 mins.
- Remove cover and broil 1-2 mins to crisp
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: This is really filling and tastes so much
like apple pie it almost feels like cheating! My
entire family loves it.
This includes 1 t of your allowed 1 T milk for the
day. Also includes your grissini and fruit portion
for one meal.
You can also totally omit the topping if you don't
want to use a grissini portion.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Core apple leaving about 1" in bottom. Do NOT
core all the way through.
- Place apple in baking dish.
- Fill apple with 1/4 t cinnamon, 1/8 t ground
cloves, dash nutmeg, and 2 t water (water should
almost reach top of apple - adjust as needed).
- Pour 1/2 c water, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t ground
cloves, and 1/2 t nutmeg around apple in the
- Bake for 45 mins - 1 hour.
- Serve immediately.
5-10 drops vanilla creme liquid stevia (to taste)
water (as needed)
- Peel orange and place orange sections in
- Add about a handful of ice.
- Add vanilla creme stevia.
- Blend to desired consistency. Add water as
TIP: Place this in the freezer for about 1 hr after
preparing and have an on protocol version of orange
Green Apple Slaw
1 green apple (mine was about 150g after coring)
juice from 1/2 small lemon (about 1 T)
granulated sugar substitute (to taste)
1/8 c cut fresh mint (optional)
- Core, slice, and cut apple into slivers.
- In bowl, add: apple, lemon juice, sugar
substitute. Toss to mix.
- Toss in fresh mint before serving.
I saw this recipe in some diabetic magazine that
mysteriously made its way to my mailbox this past
month. I adjusted it a bit and voila! This is a nice
refreshing way to eat your apple. Very filling!
This is an old standby recipe I've enjoyed for many
years. When off protocol I'll add banana or fresh
pineapple, but it's just as good without. The kids
love this one, too!
Allotted amount of strawberries)
Juice of 1 lemon
sugar substitute (as needed)
water (if needed)
- Freeze fresh strawberries about 1 hour.
- Blend fresh frozen strawberries, lemon juice
& sugar substitute in blender until very well
- You can serve immediately or place in freezer to
allow it to firm up even further.
TIP: If you don't want to wait, you can always use
your fresh strawberries without freezing them and
simply add ice & any water needed.
Broiled Cinnamon Grapefruit
cinnamon to taste (optional)
zsweet (as needed)
- Take a knife around the inside peel of the
grapefruit so that it cuts out the grapefruit from
the peel. (I usually have to use my fingers after
this to pull the grapefruit out.)
- Separate the sections and place in a bowl. (It's
best if the grapefruit is really juicy. If it's
not, sprinkle with a bit of water to moisten.)
- Sprinkle with zsweet and cinnamon.
- Toss, then place back into grapefruit peel.
- Broil for about 3-5 mins until carmelized.
3 T water
- Peel, core, and dice apple.
- Place diced apple in mini-crockpot and add
- Add cinnamon.
- Cook at least two hours.
- When finished, mash with spoon or fork, or place
in blender to reach desired consistency.
- Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
NOTE: I've made applesauce this way for years and
it is so natural and delicious! It makes for a great
treat while on protocol.